Merchants have the option to perform a standalone check on a payment card's first six digits, known as BIN (Bank Identification Number). The bank identification number uniquely identifies the financial institution issuing the card.
APEXX will return the following data points:
- Issuer name
- Issuer country
- Card scheme (e.g. Visa/Mastercard)
- Card funding type (debit/credit)
- Card brand
This data can then be used by the merchant for further processing decisions. Examples include:
- To identify cards that merchants can legally levy a processing fee/surcharge on
- To identify cards that do not require Strong Customer Authentication (SCA)
- To reject the card if certain conditions are not met (e.g. if the issuing country is different from the cardholder's address)
Access to BIN data is subject to a monthly fee. Please contact your APEXX representative for more details on how to enable the BIN check service for your organisation.